There are so many “breakthroughs” in diabetes, so many times we hear they are close to something that never quite gets there. And then there are all those “cures”; all those”facts” about how various foods, fruits, Amazon rainforest leaves, spells and potions will “CURE YOUR DIABETES!”. Or the really great one about how a special form of crystal healing can reverse diabetes, of any type.
So, today we are bringing to you 10 reliable, well tested and found to be true FACTS about diabetes:
1) When you drop a blood glucose finger pricker somewhere it will always land in a parallel universe that you can not see
2) When you want to go and exercise on the spur of the moment, you can’t
3) When you go to bed and your blood glucose is 6 mmol and you decide you might go low over night so you eat something just in case, you will wake up high and find you did not need to eat. When you go to bed the next night and your blood glucose is 6 mmol and you decide not to eat coz last time you did not drop but went high, you will wake up in the night at 3 am all clammy and sweaty and feeling like death as you are now low
4) When you have a hypo and are really craving something in particular, it will not be in the house. When you have a hypo and are really craving something in particular, it does not really matter as ANYTHING can taste like the best food ever created when you are in a hypo feeding frenzy
5) We will all experience at least one unstoppable hypo eating frenzy – enough said on that one
6) Finger prickers will not be changed every time we do a blood glucose check, nor will we wash our hands EVERY time we do a check – last time I checked people don’t carry sharps containers and basins everywhere with them
7) Sugar is not the enemy
8) Spontaneity is overrated but it would be nice, just once
9) The world does not understand the differences between types of diabetes and probably never will
10) People with diabetes may not have a functioning pancreas – but we have one hell of a strong combined heart.